San Nicolas College in Surigao City traces its roots to the year 1906 when the last group of Spanish Benedictine Missionaries, who had worked zealously to have founded the Cartilla or Doctrina School (which soon evolved into the Escuela Catolica de San Nicolas), with the Religious of the Virgin Mary as administrators, vacated Surigao. Soon after their departure, the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart, also known as the Dutch Fathers, succeeded them, created the parish of Surigao, and made the Escuela Catolica de San Nicolas a parochial school which they renamed San Nicolas School.


The Bureau of Commerce issued Articles and Certificates of Incorporation to legitimize the school's existence. Rev. Adriano Muskins, MSC, parish priest and school head, expanded the primary school for the poor children of the parish who aimlessly roamed the streets. The school continued to grow, taking much time and attention from the parochial duties for the Dutch Fathers, who sought the assistance of others.

Three Sisters from the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres arrived in Surigao in response to the invitation of Fr. Muskins to administer San Nicolas School. The pioneers were Sister Louise Marguerite Prevoust, Superior; Sr. Consolacion Cruz, Principal; and Sr. Valentine, who would take charge of the boarders. They were welcomed by the parish priest at the time, Rev. Juan Vrakking, MSC, who was to become the first bishop of Surigao in 1940.

"The Little Flower Dormitory", a three-story reinforced concrete building completed in 1936, became the nucleus of the growing institution. It housed both the dormitory and the school. Sr. Adela Catalina Llorente, then, Superior, helped speed up the construction with donations solicited from her American friends.

In June, the High School Department opened with Sr. Stella de Jesus Villanueva, SPC, as principal. Rev. Luis Boeren, MSC, took over as Director. The high school courses offered were Secondary Academic and Secondary Normal, to provide the mission with thoroughly trained Christian teachers. Initially, more than twenty female students enrolled.

Two years later, male students were accepted. Rec. Jose Croonen, MSC, was parish priest at the time.